It’s well known that motorcycles are substantially less safe than cars. But this doesn't hinder millions of people from jumping on one and going for their ride. But there are several things motorists can observe to keep everyone safe.
Motorcycles can run as fast as cars, but they lack car safety features that most people ignore. They lack any exterior frame which can absorb any crash forces. But when it's in collision forces are born directly to the rider and the bike.
Motorcycles also lack safety belts, which when in an accident event the rider is at highly risked to be thrown off the bike in an accident. To finalize, motorcycles are being on two wheels which make it less stable as cars.
Below I'm going to discuss 5 motorcycle safety tips which will make you and other road users safe-
1. Defensive Motorcycle Riding
- Stay focused and alert on what surrounds you.
- Practice defense riding to protect yourself from a motorist who may be driving carelessly or may not see you.
- Prepare to react to any situation and make sure you slow down when approaching an intersection.
- Always leave enough space between vehicles behind and in front you in this case of emergency, you will have enough space to react.
- Note that higher percentage of motorist accidents are caused by drivers, so you should be careful not to be among those causes accidents.
2. Wear the Right Gear
- Wearing proper gear like jacket, helmet, pants, boots, and gloves will keep you safe in the crash event.
- Wear bright gears that will make you more visible to other drivers.
- Wear protective eye wear to keep your delicate eyeball safe to the road.
- Good jackets, boots, and gloves will make you warm and dry as well as protect you from road debris.
- These gears can even give protect your skin in the event of an accident.
- Having won full gear, your riding confidence is also boosted.
3. Don’t Be Distracted
- Distraction driving is a terrible idea, and it becomes worse when riding a bike.
- To be safe on a motorcycle, stay hyper-aware on everything happening around you.
- You should bear that motorcycles are less visible to drivers especially those driving large cars, avoid them rather than expecting them to see and avoid you.
- Never fiddle with your phone while riding, since your reaction time is cut, therefore, putting you at a higher collision risk.
- Make sure when you are on a bike, you have avoided all temptations for distractions.
- Put your phone in the area you can’t quickly get it and remove earphones, ignore that beautiful girl just next to you as well as peoples staring at you as you fly your bike.
- Do a visual inspection of your bike before jumping on it, make sure turn signals, brakes, tires, horns, and headlight are working well before taking off every time.
- Do a quick inspection of your wires, chains, cables and other components to make sure they are in right working conditions since it’s of very good important.
4. Watch the Weather
Before going out to ride your bike make sure you carefully look whether the weather is favorable for riding the bike. Since rainy weather can be a menace to your riding comfort.
- It’s risky to ride a bike in the rain as it’s not stable as a car.
- Your visibility may be compromised due to lack of windshields.
- It can also hurt riding when it’s raining.
5. Hone Your Skills
- Join motorcycle safety course to enhance your skills.
- Learn both basics and advanced techniques.
- Ensure you are eligible for an insurance discount.
- Have a road test and acquire your license.
Whether you are riding your bike for self-pleasure, competitions or your business purposes, make sure you maintain safety by following the above-discussed motorcycle safety tips. This will make you, other people, as well as your bike, to be safe away from accidents and crashes.
Even it will promote road safety in everywhere motorcycles are used. So, ensure you are cautious and take these tips on your hand for implementation.
pixabay.com, moto.it, thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com, ridersmate.com, cdn.gearpatrol.com